Thursday 8 February 2007

Using Managerial Cybernetics to explore Business Strategy

Hello and welcome to my Blog.

My name is Ben Chadwick and I am writing a blog to document, discuss and develop an mphil proposal I submitted to Liverpool John Moores University a year ago now, but due to external commitments I have not been able to follow through with.

The purpose of my blog is to submit my proposal to the outside world and gradually update the proposal with completed sections of my research plan. My thinking is that through the occasional updating of this blog I can keep a toe in the research world and keep my mphil proposal simmering on the back burner of my often hectic life, in the ever hopeful event that I can resurrect my research with an academic institution at a future date.

So without further ado, please have a look at the headlines of my proposal below. I will endeavour to update with as much detail as possible over the coming weeks:

TITLE:

Using Managerial Cybernetics to explore Business Strategy

AIM OF THE INVESTIGATION:

Investigate the use of Managerial Cybernetics and the Viable Systems Model as tools for Business Strategy

OBJECTIVES OF THE INVESTIGATION:

  • To identify current approaches to the formulation of Business Strategy
  • To seek insights into how Managerial Cybernetics might inform Business Strategy
  • To identify approaches to business strategy in Salt Union and Exactrak
  • To consider Exactrak’s current business strategy in the context of insights from 1 –3 above
  • To deliver change into Exactrak and determine key principles for future research

N.B. Exactrak is real-time GPS tracking system for Municipal vehicles developed in partnership with Salt Union Limited and Liverpool John Moores University through the DTI Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme. The author of the research [that's me!] was, and still is, the Project Manager for Exactrak. The Exactrak business is the case study for the research.

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of this blog. In particular I would be interested in opinions of the proposed research, from anyone carrying out / intending on carrying out similar reseach, or anyone from the Stafford Beer school of thought.

BC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next blog: Proposal of Work (to include Background, Context, Methodology and Summary Literature Review)



No comments: